Thursday 2 June 2011

gmt write's blog: Progress

Hi all,

I have had several people from different backgrounds and differing ages review the first chapter of my Vandar novel. I am very encouraged so far by the response, and I have started to draft the second chapter. I am going to redraft the first chapter, and then I will look at the fist two chapters together, or maybe write a third, and then have the three reviewed?

Vandar is the book I began years ago, but had to place on one side due to circumstances beyond my control. As regular readers will know, I recently rediscovered this novel in progress, and developed new enthusiasm for it. I have expanded on the plan for the novel, fleshing out details, adding minor characters, and so on. I ave developed a map of Vandar, that is aiding in the creative process. I have also thought quite a bit about the way I want the novel to be written, the style of the prose. As with any novel, it is a constantly evolving entity, but I am sure that the bare bones are complete and I am busily adding the flesh.

The other book I am writing, the first one many of you heard about, is called The Gift. I am still working on this novel, and I have had some intriguing ideas that open up a world of possibility for connecting story lines and characters. It has been suggested to me that this novel would find it hard to encompass all of these ideas into one book, but that all the ideas are interesting, and people continue to ask for more details etc. therefore, it has been suggested that the book turns into a series, like the Harry Potter books, or the Percy Jackson books. I am thinking about this concept at the moment.

I have also embarked on the challenge of reading and reviewing all six of the shortlisted Carnegie books. The Carnegie Medal is an award for children's writers. It is very prestigious, and is open nation wide. Six books have made it onto the shortlist. The winner will be announced mid June. I am now on book four of the list, having read the first three. When I have read them all I will start to add my reviews, and I will score them all, indicating which novel I think should receive the prize. The challenge is getting it done before the real announcement!

Gail xxx

2 comments:

  1. Awesome plan... keep up the good work and I would love to know which book you think shuld win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, The Prisoner of the Inquisition.

    ReplyDelete